Join our Team!
North Carolina Hillel Foundation
UNC-Charlotte Jewish Life Associate – Part-time
Charlotte, North Carolina
North Carolina Hillel seeks a dynamic, creative, outgoing, strategic self-starter with proven organizational skills and strong follow-through to help us inspire Jewish students at UNC-Charlotte. The Jewish Life Associate (JLA) will work in partnership with the Associate Director, Statewide and the Executive Director to implement Hillel’s Jewish vision at UNCC, guiding students as they explore their Jewish identities and contributing to a warm and welcoming Jewish community on campus. This position will blend student leadership development, engagement and programming, and community and university relations to help students create meaningful Jewish opportunities and progress on their Jewish journeys.
This is a part-time job, 20 hours/week.
- Develop one-on-one relationships with Jewish students by meeting them where they live, work and/or study, utilizing creative methods to reach and interest them.
- Create and implement engagement opportunities with uninvolved and under-involved Jewish students.
- Actively engage students in participation for statewide events, including Birthright Israel, Alternative Break trips, Statewide Shabbat and Statewide Leadership Retreat.
- Work with students and colleagues to create and implement innovative programs and program strategies.
- Help students plan events, including training them to identify and follow through on details.
- Support students in planning and preparing for immersive experiences, such as Taglit-Birthright Israel and Alternative Break trips.
- Play a key role in program evaluation, including tracking program participation.
- Participate in major programs, Shabbat and holidays.
Student Leadership Development
- Identity potential leaders in under-involved student populations.
- Work with students to develop leadership skills and strategic thinking.
- Create a leadership development program for first-year students to help them learn skills that will serve them within Hillel and throughout their lives.
Community and University Relations
- Work with the Associate Director, Statewide to strengthen relationships with key stakeholders in the Charlotte area, including the Jewish Federation of Greater Charlotte, synagogues and local lay leaders.
- Develop relationships with university officials, faculty, student government and other student organizations, building coalitions where appropriate.
- Serve on campus committees relating to Hillel interests.
- Collaborate with other Charlotte-area colleges and universities, including Hillels at Queens University and Davidson College.
Communication and Administration
- Develop communications with students for the purposes of program recruitment and marketing of new engagement opportunities.
- Participate in weekly professional supervision and monthly staff meetings.
- Gathering data, including parent addresses, for fundraising communication.
As Jewish Life Associate, a typical day may include:
- Meeting with a student leader to discuss an upcoming program.
- A coffee date with a student who is not active in Hillel.
- Working with supervisor to develop a strategic engagement plan.
- Maintaining records of events and attendance for measurement and ongoing evaluation.
- Meeting with a UNCC admissions officer to develop a communications plan for Jewish prospective students.
- Staffing an evening program.
What you’re great at:
- Figuring out what makes people tick, then thoughtfully applying that understanding to help connect them to their passions and interests.
- Owning your unique Jewish identity and experiences and inspiring others to embrace their own Jewish journeys.
- Seeing both the big picture and the more granular details when planning events.
- Using social networking effectively and connecting new friends to one another.
- Bringing entrepreneurial energy to everything that you do.
What you bring to the job:
- Strong oral, written and non-verbal communication skills, with particular talent for active listening.
- An ability to manage logistics and multiple tasks with competing deadlines.
- An approachable, dynamic, engaging personality with outstanding interpersonal skills.
- An ability to relate to, and connect with, a wide variety of people and personalities in diverse contexts.
- An ability to empower others to create their own Jewish experiences.
- Capacity to work both independently and as part of a team.
- A strong work ethic, sense of humor, and an eagerness to take risks and learn when things don’t turn out the way you thought they would.
- Resilience, flexibility, ability to receive and give feedback constructively with multiple stakeholders.
- A bachelor’s degree and professional work experience involving leadership and program development.
What you’ll get out of it:
- Competitive salary in the non-profit marketplace commensurate with experience.
- Unlimited paid coffee dates with students.
- Flexible work hours.
- An opportunity to work with some of the state’s most interesting, passionate, intelligent students.
About North Carolina Hillel
North Carolina Hillel's mission is to provide students at North Carolina’s public universities with opportunities to strengthen their Jewish identities. We do this by creating community; inspiring social justice and intellectual and spiritual growth; and deepening student connections to the Jewish people and the world.
North Carolina Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Please email Linda Ellentuck, NC Hillel Operations Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org, with one document – including cover letter, resume and contact information for three references – when applying for this position. Please attach this document as a word or PDF file.
Desired start date
January 11, 2016